Namibia boreholes are drying up

Boreholes in the Namibian village of Okankolo are drying up. The country’s primary source of water, boreholes are supplied by rainwater, something the country has had in limited supply over the last few years. Boreholes supply 75 percent of the community with water. The other 25 percent have access to clean potable water.

The community has been relying on water tankers to deliver water, but truck repairs have delayed delivery.

Read more here: Water crisis worsens at Okankolo

At the Mercy of the Water Mafia – From Foreign Policy

Pumping wells in the dark of night, criminal bosses rule the liquid economy in one of the world’s busiest cities. Can anyone stop them?

Down by the sandy banks of the Yamuna River, the men must work quickly. At a little past 12 a.m. one humid night in May, they pull back the black plastic tarp covering three boreholes sunk deep in the ground along the waterway that traces Delhi’s eastern edge. From a shack a few feet away, they then drag thick hoses toward a queue of 20-odd tanker trucks idling quietly with their headlights turned off. The men work in a team: While one man fits a hose’s mouth over a borehole, another clambers atop a truck at the front of the line and shoves the tube’s opposite end into the empty steel cistern attached to the vehicle’s creaky frame.

Read more of  Aman Sethi’s article from Foreign Policy here: At the Mercy of the Water Mafia